Sunday 22 July 2012

A SHORT STORY/--STIGMATISED LOVE !

STIGMATISED LOVE(Flash Fiction)? Sep 4 2008  | Views 1109 |  Comments  (43)  | Report Abuse Tags: love between real first cousins is it a stigma flashfiction STIGMATISED LOVE (Flash Fiction)? “No. you can not marry him” Naina was firm. “But I love him; Satyajeet’s parents have agreed.” Sheena was reasoning out.  “Listen; Hindu laws do not permit this marriage” Naina said calmly. “What rubbish is this mom?” Sheena was shocked. “Come read this.” Naina threw an old black diary at Sheena. It was a diary of some Shameena Khan. It began on January 01, 1984. Sheena started reading the diary, selectively. ************************************************************************                 01 January 1984        The party last night was superb. I danced with Navkesh. He is studying in the final year of Electrical Engineering at Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh. 21February 1984 Amma (Mother) was disturbed a bit. Papa was transferred to Leh (Laddakh). He will be leaving in a fortnight.   23 March 1984. I had some problem with my periods.  Navkessh took me to a gynecologist. The report was positive. I am worried. Navkesh promises to marry me 18 July 1984. Navkesh’s mother has agreed. But they are unsure of his father. Auntie said she would persuade him. It is reassuring. 11August 1984 I and Navkesh leave home. Both of us have run away, in fact, because Navkesh’s father is very furious. He threatens to kill Navkesh. His mother suggests this course to us. She gave us Rs 10,000 for expenses. We reach New Delhi.   19 August 1984 Navkesh has been offered a job in the Delhi Vidyut Nigam. 27 October 1984 I was blessed with a beautiful daughter on 20 October. 31 October 1984 Mrs. Indira Gandhi has been assassinated by her two body guards. There are anti Sikh riots in the city. Navkesh has been out since morning. He has not come back. It is 11 PM. I am scared. 01 November 1984 No news of Navkesh. I hope his French beard and long hair do not give a wrong impression to the marauding mobs. Is he alive?  If not, I will end my life, too. ************************************************************************ The diary had ended abruptly. There were no more entries. Sheena was silent for some time, then she spoke, “so, you are Shameena ?’ “No, not me. Your mother was” Naina was equally curt.  “What? You are not my mother”, Sheena was shocked. “Not biologically. But it does not matter. I have been rearing you up for the past 24 years.” Naina was explaining. “Then why are you not allowing me to marry Satyajeet” Sheena questioned. “Biologically, you and Satyajeet are first cousins. Satyajeet’s mother is a real sister of Navkesh, your father. ” Naina said. “How would anyone know?” Sheena begged. “Navkesh and Shameena are alive and in USA. Shameena had to remarry Navkesh as Simran Kaur, as a riot-affected girl. His father had approved her. They had quietly given you to me because I was a childless widow and a land lord of the house.” Naina clarified.  “If it has to be a stigma, then they ought to be stigmatized. I will marry Satyajeet” Sheena rushed out of the house sobbing and cursing everyone. WORDS COUNT: 497 This is my FOURTH ENTRY for Flash Fiction Contest. The others are;- -THE SELF TRAP -WHO BETRAYED? -IS HE UNGRATEFUL? © rajee kushwaha., all rights reserved. Bookmark this pageEdit this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment